A competitor to Google’s Android OS, Apple’s iOS and Blackberry OS, Firefox OS is likely to change the future of smartphones. How so?, see for yourself below.
First of all, let’s have an introduction to Firefox OS. Referred to as Boot 2 Gecko or B2G (codename), Firefox OS is an open source mobile operating system from Mozilla, based on Linux and powered by Mozilla’s Gecko technology.
Thus, skipping the geek part, simply it’s a Web App transformed in User Interface for your smartphone. Cool, isn’t it!! So, how it is ahead of Android OS, or where it lacks by?? Comparing these two popular Operating Systems for smartphones, here is my conclusion:
2. It is a new begining for Developers. Those who are always ready to do invention with their smartphones, this is the right moment.
|Firefox OS – A Glimpse|
3. Unlike Android OS, it gives the users full access to device’s features including the hardware parts and program files itself.
4. Firefox OS works on a Linux based kernel and Mozilla’s Gecko technology based engine.It is an open-source OS thus giving rise to new platform for Smartphones.
5. Unlike Android OS, where huge app size waste your time for less, every app written in Firefox OS is a web page that enhances the hardware and services of your smartphone. Best part of it, these web apps can be first used as demo and added later.All apps for Firefox OS are not web pages. Apps that run from a web page are called ‘Hosted apps’ in Firefox OS. There are Packaged apps also, which are more like native apps on FxOS. Such packaged apps don’t need net connection to work.
6. The main objective of Mozilla to develop it’s OS was web made simple for smartphones. It’s flexible and powerful enough to deliver the very best of smartphone.
|Firefox OS – Home Screen, App Grid & Lock Screen|
7. It will prove to be a money maker for developers as they can monetize their apps or build their own marketplace for the new platform.
8. Internal Memory won’t bother you in Firefox OS, as apps does not need downloading.There are downloadable apps too.
9. For every activity needs to be done, Firefox OS provides Dynamic App Search which search all the apps focusing your activity. Thus, it saves your time and money in surfing websites for the same.
10. Unlike Android OS, it unleashes the power of open web on your smartphone. It enables end user to perform his/her task in web app online as well as offline through web cache.Offline apps can be made without using just web/app cache
1. Firefox OS is in developing stage right now. Many apps, features are yet to be developed, whereas Android is completely developed today and running in millions of devices worldwide.
2. Firefox OS is not like iOS or Android OS. It is just a platform to develop web apps for smartphones to perform a task. Android OS, on other hand is like a complete package of services, features and apps built around a hardware.
|Firefox OS – Radio, Clock & Calculator|
3.Unlike Android OS, it targets web app developers only.
4. Not everyone can access all of the features of Firefox OS, as it requires knowledge to Linux-based commands.
5. What if the people are not impressed by HTML5 web apps. It will be a challenge to break the monopoly created by Android OS.
|Firefox OS – Music, Gallery & Videos|
7. Porting Firefox OS to lower end smartphones with ICS below is yet to be dealt with.
8. It’s not obsessed with performing power or screen type of smartphones, but with the people who just needs to communicate around the world.
9. Web is the backbone of this OS. Without connectivity, it is like any ordinary cell phone with limited use.
10. Firefox OS does not bring any significant feature which is new for Android Users.